21 May 2008

Waxy writings..

Ear wax, as many of you will no doubt be familiar with, is yellow. It also doesn't taste very nice.

I'm sure there is a perfectly logical scientific explanation for its existence, something to do with immune system or something. I sit here today, shivering, beating off a mild bacterial infection in one of my ears. And my eye. And my throat. And possibly my chest. Anyway, I am sitting here, and my ear is really itchy, and upon inserting a finger to do some scratching, a slight coating of this wonderful substance comes out too *runs to wash hands*. Oh come on, as if you have never done that.

It makes me wonder...not just because I love biology...but also because I love English. Ear wax could be such a wonderful image to play with in writing or speech. So me, being the science, English, and procrastination student that I am, decided to learn more about it.

Yes, so ear wax acts as a cleaning agent for the ear, as well as protection from some bacteria, insects and fungi. A build up of ear wax can reduce hearing ability. The wax cleans the ear, picking up foreign particles that may have entered. Dust, dirt, bacteria etc. It then makes its way out of the ear through the movement of ones jaw. Neat.

Which brings me around to the English side of things. Ear wax could be used as wonderful figure of speech to represent someone not listening, not hearing, not caring.

I told her everything - the way my parents were always yelling, the way I wished I was noticed by my teachers, the way that I felt about her - and now she comes back with this. My thoughts, my feelings meant nothing to her. They were scum, something she had to rid herself of. I was a constant annoying hum, my thoughts left dirt in her ears, trapped by moist orange wax, forming a plug that deafened her to my trust.
Okay, so admittedly it needs a little work and a lot less whining. But you get the idea.

Which I guess brings me to a piece of advice that you may or may not wish to think about when writing. Some of the best metaphor and simile can come from the strangest places. Think about everything as something that can be used to mean something else.

Thoughts wandered through her mind, leisurely, ponderous, like the yellow blobs drifting about the retro lamp next to her."
________

She spoke quickly, a blabbering stream of noise. A scrawl on paper - understood only by its writer.
________

It was as if he was wearing a screen protector, nothing I said could scratch him. And I'll be damned if he wasn't easy on the eyes.

Just little objects taken from my desk - the lava lamp, the screen protector that used to be on my phone, the untidy note that I left myself. They can paint a vivid image, and add depth to many pieces of writing - without being overly wordy.

Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised.


Christopher.

"Language is memory and metaphor"
Storm Jameson (English writer)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!

Very interesting. =]

Ear wax = ew.

And I'll never actually write anything as well as you think people can. Just 'cause you're too awesome for all of us. =]

Love,

xx.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Chris. Nice.
Just curious, how do you decide what to blog about?

Keep 'em coming.
Cazz

Christopher. said...

@ Sarah

Stop inflating my head dear! And sure you can!

@ Cazz

My ear was itchy, and I'm like...I don't think much about ear wax...maybe I should.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, 'cause it's totally me inflating your head!

xxx.

Anonymous said...

I think that you make me learn too much. And sometimes that hurts my head. But sometimes it doesn't.

Its all very educational.

Though I guess its a little like art. When you notice the small things and they inspire you. I don't think I thought about them in writing though. Perhaps because I don't write. You do. Mine are just scribbles.

 
Any material on this page (excluding third party templates and images) is, unless explicitly stated otherwise, © 2009 Christopher K. All rights reserved. "Present Tense" header is © 2009 Adam P. Used with permission.