06 May 2008

Learning be fun!

Today I learnt something.

Actually, just by typing that sentence I learned something. See, I got a red squiggly line underneath learnt, and I'm like "Double yew tee eff??". So, I Googled it, and low and behold, Firefox, being the wonder-browser that it is (okay, so it was the Google tool bar that suggested it), suggested that I search for learnt or learned. It turns out that both are correct. But one is wrong.

Learned = American English = fail.

Learnt = English English = Australia English = win.

There you go.

Now then. As I was saying. Today I learnt something, and that is that my the crumpet setting button on my toaster is, in fact, only suitable for crumpets.

My toaster is a high-tech new-age wizz-bang-pop kinda toaster, only without any of the wizzes, bangs and pops. Now you might be thinking: 'But Chris! All toasters pop!'.


WRONG.

My toaster beeps, then proceeds to raise the bread out of the toaster and have it ready for you. Its kinda like having an electric garage. It even makes the same sound as an electric garage. And add a truck reversing into the electric garage, and you get both the sound of the beeps, and the sound of the toast rising. The toaster beeping is possibly one of the most disconcerting noises first thing in the morning while you are still half asleep. You hear the toaster beep kindly at you to tell you its done and all you can think of is "DEAR GOD A TRUCK IS REVERSING INTO MY KITCHEN!" and you promptly run out of the room screaming.

So as one would expect from a high-tech new-age toaster it has a crumpet setting. Now all of you that eat crumpets know that
your toaster never does them perfectly and always burns the bottom part and leaves the top part un-cooked.

Actually, you know what, I have never had a toaster that has done that. The wonderful people at Breville, however, clearly have. So they have designed this feature that cooks one side more than the other, thus you have the perfect crumpet.

Now, I enjoy a slice of bread with ham and cheese on top shoved under the griller. I toast one side generally (under the griller), flip it, then don't bother toasting the other side, but use it as the side I put the ham and cheese on. This, however, is tedious, so of late I have been toasting the bread with the toaster and just melting the cheese with the griller. This is easier, but just doesn't have the right texture, but then I had a thought!

"I could use this useless crumpet feature to toast one side, but leave the other a little less toasted!"

So I did.

Turns out that it turns one side of the toaster UP in heat, and the other side down.

One smoke alarm later I retrieved the toast from the toaster, cursing the wonderful people at Breville, but also wondering at their ingenuity. Never in my life did I consider that I would own a toaster that could completely crisp one side of my bread, but leave the other relatively untouched.


Christopher.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY....MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!"
-The Cloud from Rejected Cartoons

5 comments:

Squirrel245 said...

Your futuristic toaster confuses me. The technology is simply to great for my crappy brain to properly comprehend.

Anonymous said...

"One smoke alarm later I retrieved the toaster from the toaster, cursing the wonderful people at Breville, but also wondering at their ingenuity."
...Do you mean toast, Chris?

=P Sounds like you belong in the year eleven common room, with all the other people that like to burn toast and cost the boarding house $500. Oh, wait. Now it's $800. They found that out when the alarm went off the other morning due to someone's hairspray, deoderant or perfume. Hah!

xx.

Christopher. said...

@ Sarah.

What?

You read it as soon as I published it? Now that is commitment. As I was re-reading it I fixed that typo...

I'm impressed that you managed to somehow open it up in the window between publishing and editing. =)

Mirokoth said...

I had a space ship like that once....

Anonymous said...

I'm just too good, Chris. Too good. Of course I'm committed. I'm that kind of person. =]

xx.

 
Any material on this page (excluding third party templates and images) is, unless explicitly stated otherwise, © 2009 Christopher K. All rights reserved. "Present Tense" header is © 2009 Adam P. Used with permission.