26 February 2009

Would it be ironic if you printed this?

So I recently got a new computer, right? And its wonderful, and fantastic and all that mushy junk.

And we have a few computers in our house, and they are all networked, and the printer is connected to the "main" computer, which needs to be on before any other user can print. And the main computer is slow.

And so printing takes far longer and is far more inconvenient than it really needs to be.

So I think to myself "Printers are pretty cheap these days, just go pick yourself up one and connect it to your shiny new".

WRONG.

Printers come with EVERYTHING now. You can only get multifunctions. Okay, I lie, you can get regular normal plain old printers.

BUT THEY COST MORE THAN MULTIFUCTIONS.

So why don't I get a multifunction?

BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE ROOM FOR THE GIGANTIC HEAP OF HYDROCARBON MANURE.

I have said it once.

I have said it twice.

I have said it many, many times.

And after this experience my resolve was further hardened.

I.
Despise.
Printers.

Now I know that you are all thinking, "Wow, despise Chris? Isn't that language a little harsh?" But I beg to differ with every fibre in my being.

I realise that printers are hideously useful tools - they paperise (yes, paperise, got a problem with that verb?) stuff on your computer, which makes it easier to read and archive in hard copy. They let you stick things on walls, and give yourself paper cuts.

But its this usefulness that is the downfall of the humble printer.

One NEEDS a printer.

And the printers know this, yes they do.

The printers know how much you need them.

"What the hell Chris, they are inanimate objects for goodness sake..."

NO. I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEIR INSOLENCE IS RANDOM MECHANICAL FAULT. THEY KNOW.

"You have mice that connect in the same ways, and you also need them, but you don't hate them"

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY AREN'T EVIL.

Maybe that is too harsh.

Yes, it is. Maybe printers are merely insecure. They need to be reassured of their usefulness, they need to know that their work is needed. But everyone needs that every so often.

Printers, however, go about this in entirely the wrong way.

They do it by stuffing up at vital moments. They do it by constantly needing more paper. They do it by running out of ink. They do it by refusing to talk to the computer, or the network.

THEY DO IT BY BEING WANKY PIECES OF HIGHLY INSECURE PLASTIC.

AND THAT MAKES ME HATE THEM.

AND NOW THEY HAVE TEAMED UP WITH SCANNERS AND PHOTOCOPIES IN ORDER TO BE EVEN MORE USEFUL AND EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING BECAUSE THERE ARE SUDDENLY THREE TIMES THE NUMBER OF THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG. NEVER MIND ABOUT BEING THREE TIMES THE SIZE AND THREE TIMES AS INSECURE.

So I leave you with a message, my dear readers.

When you are feeling a little insecure and need some reassurance.

Don't. Be. A. Printer.


"I didn't fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong"
-Benjamin Franklin

5 comments:

Squirrel245 said...

Your printer must be the hardware equivalent of an emo kid or something...

My printer's pretty fat, but it's all like "sup?" when you want to print something, then after it does its thing it's like "kay done!", then goes back to sleep.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Modems on the other hand...
*rage builds*

Morgan said...

It's good to see that you have lots of fibre, Chris. Should make your digestive system work well.

I think the loathing on my end goes out to the ISP, which continues to convince my parents that actually having a download limit is a ridiculous idea.

After all, why would someone possibly want to download something?

Anonymous said...

Multifunctions aren't expensive. I bought a HP one last week for $45. Worked great out of the box.

I can sympathize with 'running out of ink at the most crucial times', though.

Christopher. said...

You are right Calum. They are not expensive.

They are very cheap.

And you get lots with them.

But I do not want lots. I have no use for a scanner.

I don't think I should be paying for something I don't need. By that logic, I think its perfectly reasonable to expect that a normal plain basic printer should cost like, 30 bucks. But they cost about 50 - the cheapest.

A multifunction, as you and I both said, is cheaper.

And its a great thing that they are cheap - But I do not have the space or use for a multi function.

Squirrel245 said...

How about you buy a multifunction then tear off all the parts you don't want/need?

 
Any material on this page (excluding third party templates and images) is, unless explicitly stated otherwise, © 2009 Christopher K. All rights reserved. "Present Tense" header is © 2009 Adam P. Used with permission.