01 January 2009

Lets hope its a good one

So as we head into a new year, its a time for me to look back at the year previous, and celebrate not just the future on this windy new year's day, but the past, and all that it has contributed to the present tense of my life.

For all its faults I enjoyed 2008. Rather a lot actually.

2008 saw me delete my bebo, myrandomnessdomain (for those who remember it), make a facebook, decide that I hate social networking, and then made myself a blog. I think the latter of these choices was the best. I missed blogging.

But, contrary to what many of you will think, my 2008 life didn't just revolve around little places on the internet that I like to call my own - infact 2008 saw me achieve a plethoria of wonderous things.

  • I saw Nightwish live in concert. I maintain that there is almost nothing like seeing and hearing your favourite band played live.
  • I completed year 12 - with flying colours which I could only have imagined two years ago.
  • I gained an appreciation for poetry and literature, the former of which I loathed 12 months ago.
  • I improved my writing skills - and writing now stands as one of my favourite methods of communication.
  • I learnt to commit.
  • I became legally recognised as an adult in Australian society.
  • I had a voice in ACT politics for the very first time.
  • I went clubbing thinking that I would loathe it with a passionate vengence. Now I love it.
  • I applied for university.
  • I held onto a relationship for five or so months. Go figure.
  • I travelled to Japan with one of the greatest groups of people that I could have.
  • I gained further experience of being behind a counter, and not just in front.
  • I saved up all year and bought my own computer.
  • I learnt to appreciate the people that surround me everyday (go figure, Christopher, for all his whinging in previous years actually misses seeing the group at school. Also I tried to make that less clicheish, but then I couldnt be bothered).
  • I travelled to Melbourne with my two best friends and discovered the wonder of hot towels.
  • Also I beat Daniel and Mitch. Twice.
  • I completed maths methods major. And still could have UC with the scores I achieved (seriously!)

But 2008 also saw a number of goodbyes to things that were a constant in my life - some for years.

  • I said goodbye to the ACT Instrumental Music Program - who were an integral part of my life for eight years.
  • I said goodbye to public education - which was my life for 13 years.
  • I said goodbye to Canberra College, and the teachers who helped develop and shape my ways of thinking.
  • And I said goodbye to childhood.

But hey, now that its over, we move into 2009, my first full year as an adult. The year that I hopefully start uni, and see what develops from there!


To everyone out there I wish you the very best for two thousand and nine.



"As our lives change, some forever, we will still be friends forever"
-That really corny vitamin C graduation song
that I only listen to because it has
pachabels cannon and
I happen to like
that song.

3 comments:

Squirrel245 said...

Hmm... wonder what I did in 2008, besides take part in at least one of those things you listed...

...

Nothing important apparently. XD

Anonymous said...

I know it's silly, but I'm rather proud I'm involved with helping you achieve at least two of the things on that list. =]

But, I thought we were going to just go with six as an estimate. =P Hehe.

Now, how did you beat Daniel and Mitch twice? That I really want to know. There's only one time that I know you beat them. ;]

And fingers crossed for the friends forever. You've always got my support. I hope I have yours.

xxx.

Rachel said...

And you told me that only I write lists!

I'm going to write a list too, of what I wish for you in 2009. I hope:

- you have a wonderful year with just a few sad moments to keep perspective
- that you don't fall down many staircases
- you believe in yourself enough to dance in the street with everyone watching
- you have something to care for as much as football supports who wave their arms at matches do

and lastly... I hope you don't eat snail repelant.

 
Any material on this page (excluding third party templates and images) is, unless explicitly stated otherwise, © 2009 Christopher K. All rights reserved. "Present Tense" header is © 2009 Adam P. Used with permission.